суббота, 3 ноября 2007 г.

There is no ASPCA in Kazakstan

October 27-31, 2007

One of the biggest differences between America and Kazakhstan is the treatment of animals. Dogs are simply guards or garbage disposals, not pets. They are only fed table scraps, are never allowed in the house, often roam the streets freely, and are otherwise mistreated and ignored by their families. For example, one day I was talking to my family about how cool it was that when I talked to our dog, Actus, in English, he did not respond, but when I spoke to him in Kazak he responded. However, rather than find this interesting, they simply remarked that they had actually never bothered to talk to Actus. It turns out that I am the only one in the family that regularly plays with him or shows him any sort of affection, so of course I am one of his favorite people. Actus’ sad existence not the reason for this entry, rather it was sparked by recent tragic events involving another dog, a puppy that I had named Aiylka, or little bear, due to her coloring and strange way of walking. I had been doing my best, making sure she had enough food, and making her a small bed out of old blankets, and I assumed that my family would continue to take care of her while I was gone for ten days on site visit. However, that was not the case. The neglected to feed her regularly and had also moved her blankets, so that when it got cold at night she had nowhere to sleep. They told me that she had disappeared mid-week, and they simply assumed that she had run away. If only. I found her a day after I got home in the garden; she had frozen to death earlier in the week. Even more upsetting than the fact my family was somewhat responsible for the death of my dog however, was their attitude when I told them what happened. They just shrugged as if to say, oh well, shit happens, and then asked where I buried it. The unfortunate thing is that this probably is a pretty common occurrence. Even in the south it gets very cold in the winter, I’m sure that many animals die from exposure and sickness. I will be living in an apartment in Kyzylorda, so I will not be able to have another dog, but I do not think I would want to get another one anyway. Maybe I could be an example of how people should treat their pets, but I think that it would be too hard given that there would be no veterinarian to take it to if it got sick and I would get even more strange looks. Until then, I guess I will just feel sorry for those pets I do encounter, and look forward to being reunited with my little brother in a dog suit.

Комментариев нет: