суббота, 3 ноября 2007 г.

Surface Matters

September 1, 2007

Something that I have noticed since I got to Kazakhstan, but really came clear to me during Bell Day, the ceremonial first day of school, is how important appearances and first impressions are to the people of Kazakhstan. A prime example of this occurred yesterday during the ceremony where I was chosen to give a collective greeting from the five trainees in English simply because I had the best suit. It was no different where the kids were concerned either. They were all dressed to the nines, but I could tell that the kids up front had taken it to an entirely different level, one eight year old even appeared to be wearing crocodile skinned shoes. There are also the accessories to consider. I have never seen this many nice cell phones. They might be cheaper over here, but still the level of technology in the hands of some of these kids, despite the fact that they apparently struggle to afford school supplies, is head spinning.
This attention to appearances is even more obvious when it comes to houses. If it is a room that everyone occupies, it is all set up, but areas like the toilet or the place where you shower are decidedly bare bones. At first the idea that they one would spring for the DVD entertainment system but neglect to get indoor plumbing seemed rather strange to me, but I have to admit, I am kind of getting used to it. The squat toilet is still a little tricky, but I like pouring water over my head for a shower, and I find myself really enjoying watching Cadets on that big screen. I also know that this will be great preparation for me when I am permanently placed in an even smaller village with even fewer amenities. I may be pissed off at my group mate who due to constant complaining and obstinacy has been moved from a house with A/C and indoor plumbing to a house with A/C, indoor plumbing, and satellite TV, while another person continues to live below even Peace Corps mandated conditions, but I know that when we are permanently placed, the spoiled girl will be unprepared and probably ET, while the rest of us who have begun to adjust will hopefully stay and thrive.

Комментариев нет: