воскресенье, 18 ноября 2007 г.

Hitting the Trail

November 18, 2007

This morning I realized that after a week in Kyzylorda, my allergies had begun to abate, signaling that I am finally getting used to the polluted air. To celebrate this accomplishment, I figured I would test my limits a little bit and so I went for a run. This was the first time in a solid month that I had done any strenuous physical activity whatsoever, so I was a little worried that it would not go well, but in the end I was not nearly as out of shape as I feared. Furthermore, I know that forces from on high were smiling down on my endeavor as I saw not one, but two camels during my jog. I interpreted this sighting as sign that I will go far and be successful in all of my various professional and personal endeavors during my two years of desert life, after all, the camel not only survives but thrives in nature’s harshest environments and symbolizes stamina and strength. That said, it could be that I just happened to see camels. They are pretty numerous in this area of Kazakhstan, although they are rarely seen this close to the city from what I understand. The run also gave me the opportunity to see Kyzylorda from a different angle, because for the past week I have not had a chance to do much walking besides around the center of town . On my run however, I followed the river that goes along the edge of the city. The contrast between the city on one side of the river and the desert on the other is incredible. The city with all of its tall buildings goes right up to the river bank, but on the other side of ther river there is absolutely nothing as far as the eye can see. It made me really aware of the environment I now live in, because when you are in town, it is often difficult to distinguish what makes Kyzylorda distinct or special, but now I realize that in fact Kyzylorda is, for all of its problems, an oasis.

Комментариев нет: