понедельник, 5 ноября 2007 г.

Cutting the Strings

November 5, 2007

In America, when a child leaves home for university people often said that it was time to “cut the strings,” still it only a figure of speech. In Kazakhstan though, the expression is quite literal. In Kazakhstan, when a child first learns to walk the family has a ritual where they tie the kids feet together and then “cut the string, and yesterday, though I am a little old and have been walking around for years, I got to take part in the same ceremony during the good-bye party they had for us at he Gymnasium. To signify our going out into the world to work in the wilds of Kazakhstan, they brought us up on stage and tied our feet together and then one of the administrators or senior teachers came up and cut them. Several students also performed some very cool short skits and songs. I already was feeling tired and a little bit homesick thinking about leaving Chamalgan, but the ceremony was so nice that it made me feel even worse. I admit that I got really tired as it really hit me that I am going to be leaving everyone in less than a week. I am not going to miss my Chamalgan family quite as much I miss my American family of course, but it is still going to be hard to leave. I am also a little bummed to be leaving the Gymnasium. The local teachers I had a chance to work with were amazing, and the students were a lot of fun, if a little nuts every now and then. Still, I am really excited to be headed to Kyzylorda on Saturday. Right now, I just want to get there and get to work. I am really excited about the people I am going to get to work with, and I am tired of just hanging out in language class but otherwise just sitting on my ass. That said, the next four days are going to be super busy, and in my opinion, not much fun. Four days of being shuttled back and forth between Almaty and Chamalgan on various field trips and meetings. Oh well, at least I can look forward to a long rest during my 23 hour train ride.

Комментариев нет: