вторник, 8 января 2008 г.

Christmas

If I was somewhere other than Kazakhstan, this probably would be declared the worst Christmas ever. It has been 15 below zero for the last week, the power and water was off at my house from the 22nd to the 24th, and I had work from 8:00 to 5:00 on Christmas day. I have not even had the chance to properly celebrate it yet because I had to stay in and get ready for an early morning seminar instead of going out with the other volunteers. Furthermore, the gift exchange was all of five minutes, and we did it on the 24th because I always leave for work before anyone wakes up. Still, I cannot be too upset or worried about it. I had to know that Christmas was going to be different this year, and have to accept the fact that to the people of Kazakstan, December 25th was just another workday. Also, I am going to have a major opportunity to celebrate later this week when some of my friends from my training village come to Kyzylorda to celebrate the New Year. Robert is coming from Zhezkezgan, Emiko is coming from Aktobe, and Eric is coming from Shimkent. I am not quite sure yet what we will find to amuse ourselves for five days, but I bet we will think of something. I am just glad that due to my working on the 25th I was able to arrange it so that I did not have to work for the days that they are down here. Thus, I believe that I can honestly say that this holiday season has the potential to be one of the best, albeit unorthodox Christmases I have ever had.

Комментариев нет: